At École Mountview over half of the students receive most of their instruction in French. French Immersion is a highly successful approach to learning a second language where children become functionally fluent in French while achieving all of the objectives of the regular program. Students follow the Alberta mandated program of studies, but they do so in French.
The Program of Studies for the Early French Immersion program is established by Alberta Education and supported by the Red Deer Public District#104. Students in French Immersion are expected to reach the same learner outcomes as children in the English program, while at the same time gaining dual-language proficiency.
In Kindergarten, the teacher addresses the class in French only, although the children continue to use English among themselves. By the end of the year, children are able to recognize a large number of French words and are attempting to use single words and a few short sentences.
In grades 1 and 2, 90% of instruction is given in French; the remaining 10% is allocated to informal instruction in English (speaking and listening). In grades 3 through 5, 80% of instruction is given in French, with the remaining 20% being committed to the formal study of English (reading, writing, speaking, listening).
For more information on the French Immersion program, please visit the Red Deer Public School's French Immersion Program website and the links on the left.